Rutherglen is 3 hours from Melbourne, 30 minutes from Wangaratta, Yarrawonga, Albury, & Beechworth. 10 minutes away from the Murray river and Corowa. The Rutherglen area is surrounded by vineyards. There are ample places to stay, Rutherglen has excellent restaurants and cafes.  The golf here is excellent and we welcome visitors, usually there is no need to book.

 

The Rutherglen Golf Club was formed in 1900 and initially the course was on Quarry Hill, now the site of the High School. The first recorded club championships were held in 1907. Regularly timetables events began in 1914 with a series of monthly handicap events.

 

The first clubhouse was built in 1916. The decision to introduce Sunday golf was hotly debated over many years before it was introduced in 1932. In 1926 the annual Meeting proposed the club seek permission to move to the Rutherglen Park where 13 holes could be set up without interfering with the trees. Approval was obtained and a 10 hole course was laid out. The first season on the new course began in 1927.

 

After the second world war, the club steadily rebuilt membership and new events were introduced. In 1950 additional holes were added to provide a 12 hole course, in 1965 the 18 hole course finally opened.

 

Successful members include, Louise Briers (nee Hawking) who became a national amateur women’s champion and a manager of ladies teams travelling overseas. John Lindsay began at the club as a junior and later became a well-known golf administrator as well as Victorian Amateur Champion in 1968 and 1970. James McLean qualified for the US Men’s Tour and Leah Hart has qualified for the US Ladies Tour. Rutherglen is a successful club by any standards.

 

The members volunteer to manage the Golf Course area and this provides a well-kept area of land. for locals and tourists alike to walk in some solitude, in an area very close to the town centre.

© 2017 by The RUTHERGLEN GOLF CLUB. Proudly created with Wix.com

  • facebook-square